Year of the Lancer
It’s been 40 years since the St. Pius Class of 1980 graduated. I smile as I look back at the Class of 1980. We had quite the characters and talent in our class, as I am sure many of the teachers would attest to. I don’t know the statistics of how many went to college, who has a doctorate, who became famous, but I can tell you that we were a class filled with success. Forty years later, many stay in touch, some have passed, and I believe we all still care about one another; just one of many things St. Pius X helped instill in us while we were there.
• Class song – Crystal Ball by Styx
• Prom theme: Stairway to Heaven
• Motto – To Live Your Life In Your Own Way, To Reach The Goals You Have Set For Yourself, To Be The You That You Want To Be . . .
That Is Success Class officers:
Gary Talken, President (4 years)
Julie Roland, Vice President
Annette Fults, Secretary
Bob Vogt, Treasurer
Our class entered Senior year with the newest thing to hit the market – Sony Walkmans. The Boys Varsity Basketball team won Districts. We had entered a new decade. The draft was a worry for many. We listened to Top Hits throughout the year: My Sharona (The Knack), Call Me (Blondie), Another Brick in the Wall (Pink Floyd), Magic (Olivia Newton-John), Rock with You (Michael Jackson) Movies that hit the theaters included: 1941, The Jerk, Blues Brothers, Airplane, The Shining, Urban Cowboy, Caddyshack Top Five TV Shows: 60 Minutes, Three’s Company, That’s Incredible, M*A*S*H, Alice Significant Events and Trivia
- Pope John Paul II made his first week-long visit to the United States, visiting 6 cities and delivering 69 speeches.
- Post-It Notes hit the shelves for the first time to consumers
- Rubik’s Cube débuted at International Toy Fair in London
- Miracle On Ice – US Hockey beat Soviet Union and went on to win Gold. Marked as one of the greatest upsets in sports history
- Mt. St. Helen erupts killing 57 in Washington
- 50 American hostages were held in Iran
- Miami (Liberty City) Riots over the beating death of Arthur McDuffie after a high-speed chase with police. After 3 days of riots, 18 people died, 800 were arrested, and property damages exceeded $80 million dollars.
- Cost of Living 1980 Yearly Inflation Rate USA 13.58% Year
- End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average 963 Interest Rates
- Year-End Federal Reserve 21.50%
- Average Cost of new house $68,700
- Average Income per year $19,500.00
- Cost of a gallon of Gas $1.19
- Average cost new car $7,200.00
Liz Boyer Rothweiler